Saturday, August 25, 2012

Unplanned Saterday Fun

Generally, I briefly play with sewing and then go strait to the sewing that needs to be done. But today I made a conscious effort to do something I've been wanting to do for a while. Learn to make my own clothes. It's the thing I fear the most really. I picked up a yard remnant of blue satin material. (it's cheep, not plain muslin cloth, and I won't cry if I mess up).

I decided to make a halter shirt out of it. I don't have to work with sleeves, or shoulder's for that matter. Woohoo! I cut two 17" x 17" squares and folded a triangle to create a fold suitable to the with of my front and back right under the armpits.

 Next, trim the adjacent corners, sew together, add hem and sash for the neck right? Well, one weakness I have is not having a strict planned  road and keeping things simple. So! I decided to sew it by hand! Yup this project is going to take a while.
 
But I'm determined to take my time with the detail. Meditating on the running stitch, following the stitches where ever they lead me. Yes, unplanned, not quite the way to learn how to make clothes. But it's Saturday. I need a slow, relaxing project to work on. Something different than the usual "send it through the sewing machine real quick and bam!" Believe me, such a thing has developed stressful construction and unhappy outcomes.

Speaking of unplanned, I see I desperately need to have my posts planned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment